Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Bokehlicious!

I am joining along with World Bird Wednesday.  Yesterday while driving home we passed a turkey vulture in the road eating a dead critter.  Then today we passed the same dead critter but a very cool vulture was eating it. I've never seen a vulture like it.  It had a gray head and white legs. It wasn't ugly like the turkey vulture.  I didn't have my camera with me, but when we ventured back out later in the day I drove by the same spot and it was gone and so was the dead critter. Oh well. Lesson learned keep my camera with me.

So I thought I'd swing by a little park by the water that always has lots of birds to photograph. (Can you tell I really wanted to participate in WBW?)  But there were several other people with very intimidating cameras.  I have a used set up and no fancy gadgets.  So I turned the car around and decided not to embarrass myself with my small camera and headed home.

I really enjoyed the tips on today's post about blurring the background a term called bokeh.  So instead of catching an Osprey fishing or a bald eagle I got some of my yard birds to help me out.

Some Chickadees were having a party at the feeder. I tried to position the flowers from the neighbors to the left for a pop of color, but kept the white of the railing by the feeder so the birds stood out.


This little chickadee was feeling a little shy.


This female Downy Woodpecker was anything less than shy. She was happy to pose for a picture. 

I am not sure if I totally got the bokeh thing done right, but I did try.



9 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

yard birds work! and that must have been a black vulture. we get both black and turkey vs here. :)

eileeninmd said...

Love your yard birds. The chickadee and woodie are my favorites. Gorgeous photos, well done on the bokeh!

Gary said...

Great shots!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

heyBJK said...

These are great shots, Andee! Nice job with the backgrounds! Don't be intimidated by the expensive cameras. There are a lot of people who own them, but don't have a clue about photography. It's not the equipment that makes a good photo, it's the person taking it.

Debbie said...

brian is right, i am one of those people!!

you have the eye girl!! these are awesome!!

mick said...

Great photos - I especially like the Chickadees on the feeder.

Saun said...

Love your yard birds. These are great shots!

NatureStop said...

Your yard birds are beautiful and captured so well.Have a great day!

Shantana

Elaine @ Commotion said...

Love the bird in flight at the feeder!! The one hiding in the tree is just adorable too.