Saturday, June 23, 2012

Slippery Squirrels

Back in April I purchased two bird feeders and some bird seed.  I hung them up on a shepards hook outside my window.  I work from home and I spend a large majority of time sitting at my computer working and nothing much exciting to look at out the window.  As soon as I put up the feeders I got tons of visitors.  I have really enjoyed seeing the birds and getting to know each type they are.  I have also gotten a kick out of photographing them. 

I didn't realize how difficult it is to take picture of birds.  I dare anyone who hasn't taken pictures of birds to get a feeder and wild bird seed.  Then look at the list on the back of the bag of seed to see what types of birds the seed will attract and then get a picture of each of them.  It is no easy task and I have enjoyed the challenge.

So having bird feeders also attracts other critters such as squirrels.  I moved my shepards hook away from the tree so the squirrels couldn't jump from the tree to the feeder.  It worked, but they started climbing up the shepards hook.  Because of the squirrels I have to fill the seed everyday.  So yesterday I thought about it and I figured there has to be a simple solution to my problem.  I thought if the pole on the shepards hook was slippery then they can't crawl up.  So I went out side and covered the pole with shortening.  Presto it worked! No squirrels made it up to the feeders.  But I can not tell you how amused I was by watching squirrels slide  down the pole over and over.  I clearly need to get out more, but really it was very funny.

So this morning I woke up to this.

Clearly they were having a meeting around the pole to figure out a plan of attack.

Finally a brave one stepped up.

He's up....

nope he's down

hee hee hee.  Now they are trying to leap from trees they really aren't giving up.  But it is amusing watching them try.


4 comments:

Debbie said...

haha....pretty awesome for a newbee!!

andee 1, squirrels 0!!

Brian King said...

LOL! That's funny! Tree rats always make me laugh! They're hard to discourage, too.

Deanna said...

I have thought of doing the shortening trick, but so far they haven't tried to climb the pole since it is in the middle of some giant hostas. These are great pics, I don't know if I have ever seen so many squirrels in one place.

Lori ann said...

hahaha, what a great post to wake up to! more please! (photos!) i love this. :)