Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Yarn Along

I have really been knitting up a storm this past Summer. I am behind in posting all my finished projects. I think I'll have to do a "What I Knitted On My Summer Vacation" post in a few weeks to get all caught up.  But in the mean time here is a little taste of some of my knits.


Last May when I went to the Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival I purchased some Boho Batts from Boho Chic Fiber Co. The fiber is "Mermaid" and it is polworth wool, soft silk & nylon blend. I spun these batts into yarn faster than I could come in the house with them from the festival. I loved spinning these batts so much. I loved the playful yarn it created. Typically when I spin yarn I make it smooth and even. This fiber however wanted to be lumpy and bumpy and so much fun. I was sad about how long it sat on my desk as a skein of yarn. I couldn't figure out what to make with it. Then finally I decided a hat, but I couldn't find just the right pattern so I wrote one "Boho Batt Hat". It is free and works great for knitting up some hand spun yarn! It is just a simple K1, P1 hat and once I make a few more of them I'll update the yardage needed. Since the pompom can be any size it really can vary the amount of yarn you need, but I'd say 3.5 ounces of thick hand spun or aran weight yarn is best.


I also finished my Blue Sands Cardigan all out of handspun yarn a few weeks ago. I can't wait to post some finished pictures of that. I think I'll need to have my alpaca Blue in the pictures since I used his fiber for most of the cardigan.


In complete panic mode I casted on a Shockwaves shlanket. It is the perfect travel knit! I am using Miss Babs Kiera for it and I just love this yarn. It was great to work with while it was in the high 90s at Myrtle Beach. I planned on working on some projects out of alpaca, but I didn't think that would knit so nice with sweaty hands. This project is so addictive and has just enough design work that I haven't gotten bored with it. It is also very nice that I don't have to look at the pattern while I work on it.


Happy knitting!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your blue alpaca definitely should be in the photoshoot! I'm sure he'll look great "wearing" the sweater.