Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Beachbody My Story & a Fit Along



Last November my gym posted a notice that it would be closing it's doors on December 31st. I really loved my gym and I was very sad to hear it was closing. It was a small gym, but I enjoyed using the treadmills, elliptical trainers and the equipment. I never did any of the classes that they offered. Mostly because I was embarrassed to join a group of fit people.  Once I heard of my gyms closing I started looking at other gyms in the area. Most of them were more expensive and I knew I should really take advantage of the classes they offered to get my full money's worth.

I have always been a very active person and I run and exercise regularly. I always say I have had to run 5-10 miles a week to remain chubby.  I have not been very fit since I was in high school. I have always envied the bodies of people that do Yoga and I really wanted a fit body with long lean muscles. I really didn't think that was an actual thing that could happen. Especially after having two kids.

I did some research and it looked like Piyo was a good fit for me. It is a Beachbody program that you do at home from video.  It is a combination of Pilates and Yoga. I ordered one disc from the program to try it out. I got Hard Core on the Floor. After my first workout I was hooked! I did the workout disk several times in December and then I decided I really enjoyed Chalene Johnson (the instructor) and I ordered the whole program. 

The Piyo program is a series of work out videos. It comes with a calendar and I did different workouts for six days a week. Most of them ranged from 20-30 minutes. After a few weeks I was seeing amazing results. I loved that the only equipment I needed was a yoga mat and I could do all the workouts in my family room in front of the TV. I even brought it camping with us and I can do it in out travel trailer. You really don't need much space to do the workouts.



After a month of doing Piyo I was amazed at my strength. As a knitter I tend to have a SORE shoulder all the time. Yes I do have knitting injuries if you are a knitter you can relate. I also get a sore back from spinning yarn. Also my back was sore all the time from all the heavy lifting I do at the alpaca farm. The more and more I did Piyo the less soreness I was having! 

I now have no back pain and no problems with my shoulder. My shoulder injury was one that started back when I played goalie in soccer. I had crashed down so many times on my left shoulder going after the soccer ball that I thought I would never be able able to have a normal shoulder again. I was told that surgery would fix it or I could stop playing soccer. I choose to stop playing soccer. 

Before doing Piyo I couldn't lift my left arm above shoulder height. Now I can do ANYTHING with it pain free. It is amazing! 



After completing the Piyo program I purchased the TurboFire program.  This program has changed my life! It is so much fun. I used to run on a treadmill, but this is so much more fun. It is a combo of martial arts, kickboxing and hip-hop moves. It is like a little dance party in my house everyday. 



Another program I purchased was 21 Day Fix Extreme. This program is for 21 days and it is like having a personal trainer in your house. The workouts get you amazing results.  I had muscles I didn't know even existed after completing this program.  But I didn't enjoy it as much as Piyo and TurboFire. Those two programs are ones I can do as a lifestyle and do everyday. That isn't to say I don't do the 21 Day Fix anymore. I do enjoy the workouts and I mix them into my weekly workouts several days a week. 

By committing about 30 minutes a day to these workout videos 6 days a week I have lost over 60 pounds. But  more than that I feel amazing. I am in the best shape of my life.  I am so much more active and I look forward to everything!!! 



I also have to add I drink Shakeology everyday. I LOVE it. I mix mine with water and ice and have it as a smoothie once a day. I love the Strawberry and Tropical Strawberry flavors.



I love that in the Piyo program the crew are all in their 40's and Chalene says she is in better shape now in her 40's than she was in her 20's.  Also the people in the videos are ones that have had all their results with the Beachbody programs. Some of them have lost over 100 lbs. It doesn't matter your age, weight, or fitness level anyone can do these programs.  You take them at your own pace and do what you can. If you are already in great shape these programs will only help you to be even better.

But of course most importantly my huge motivation for loosing the weight was so I need less yarn to knit sweaters. Seriously! Knitting is expensive. I have lost over 31" over my body. That is a lot of yarn saved!!! Also to me a 30 minute work out video equals hours of guilt free knitting on the couch :) 

I am running a Challenge Group for the Beachbody program TurboFire. The Challenge starts August 3rd and runs the length of the regular class schedule. That is 12 weeks. Then there is an advanced schedule that runs for an additional 8 weeks: Oct 26th - Dec 20th. Like I have said before I do these workouts as a lifestyle. You might go to the gym everyday. I do my workout videos everyday. TurboFire is a great workout to do everyday. It will get your heart pumping and burn fat! You can sing along with the music and have a fun time. 



I know some people say they want to loose 5 lbs or maybe 15. This program will help you loose all the weight you want, but it will also help you stay healthy.  I don't plan on loosing more weight, but I do plan on using this program to stay healthy. 

I enjoy the Beachbody programs so much I decided to sign up to be a Coach. I made up my mind to be a coach after I realized that just like the online knitting community I have become a part of I was also becoming a part of a fun fitness community. A lot of the people doing these workouts are just like me. Just like all the like minded people I have met through Yarn Alongs, Knit Alongs, Blogs and Podcasts there are so many like minded people in the fitness world. Not crazy gym rats, but people that have fun working out in their homes and sharing their stories with other people. It is fun to be in a Challenge group and seeing everyone's progress and stories. Maybe I'll change the name from Challenge group to Fit Along!  Just like I love seeing pictures of half knitted shawls and sweaters and hearing about what books people are reading I also love hearing about people's favorite workouts, recipes and motivational stories.

So if you want to join me in my Fit Along here are the steps:

    I am recommending the TurboFire program for this first "Fit Along".

I am not good at following rules so if you join late that is okay. We'll still let you in the group! 




2 comments:

thecrazysheeplady said...

Hmmm, I could stand to lose 60 pounds and fix my shoulders and back... You look awesome!

Debbie said...

WoW andee, you really look great!!! try to peak over at my blog tomorrow, it's a knitting post i think you will like!!!