Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Cape Hatteras Light Station








On our last camping trip to Cape Hatteras, North Carolina we visited the Cape Hatteras Light Station. Unfortunately we were there during the off season so the lighthouse wasn't open and we didn't get to climb up to the top.


We did however get to tour the light keepers house, which has been converted into a museum. 


I loved walking through the house / museum.  I felt like I could live there!!! There was such a feeling about the house that I loved (despite all the historical information every where). I felt like it was a perfect spot to raise a family. 



Our friend promised ice cream to all the kids that could run around the lighthouse. And run they did!!!



Just in case you can't read above...

"There have been words written to the effect that the lighthouse keepers and their families had a very lonely life; however, we did not have this experience.  In fact, just the opposite would be more apt to apply. The lighthouse was always a favorite place to visit by the village folk so we would have lots of company, especially on Sunday afternoons and the evening hours, when the heat of summer was unbearable in the wooded areas of the villages.  Swimming, baseball games, croquet, chasing wild horses and penning them in the yards for breaking to the saddle, and climbing the lighthouse were all a big part of our lives" 

Rany Jennette, son of the last Principal Keeper at Cape Hatteras Lighthouse

 See I knew I could be a Keeper of a light house!!!!! That sounds perfect for me.  I bet I could even find time to knit and spin. Maybe I could keep some alpacas by the lighthouse to mow the grass.

I could see Tiny wrangling up some wild horses too.


I think Mr. B might want to help out too.



4 comments:

DeniseinVA said...

Great photos and what cuties you have there.

Andi said...

I'm with you, I could be a lighthouse keeper as well. What an absolutely fun vacation and experience for the kids!

Debbie said...

ooooo no, tiny is getting so big!!! i remember this age, when posing for a picture in a normal way is out of the question!!!

i love lighthouses, you got some amazing images and i love the up close details!!!

Debbie said...

and i always photograph signs too!! it's a great, easy way to share information!!!!