Wednesday, December 18, 2013

To the Alpacas

I am pretty sure this will be my last yarn along for 2013! I wish I had more fun things to share, but some of my projects are gifts and I have to keep them quiet for now.
 
Also I haven't had much time to knit because December is for the alpacas.  My parents open their farm and farm store during the weekends in the month of December. They sell lots of wonderful alpaca items in their showroom like hand knits, yarn, socks, coats, sweaters, toys and everything alpaca related. The sales for the items help support the herd.  I help them out as much as I can.  The only down side of all the time in the store is less time for my knitting. But this is the last weekend the farm is open and I can get back on track with some fun large projects I have planned for 2014.
 
I made a few Ganomy hats. They are an Elizabeth Zimmermann pattern and so easy to knit.
The one below still needs a pom-pom, but I am afraid I might gift it before I get any finished pictures of it so here it is pre-pompom. I used Cascade Eco Duo yarn.
 
 
I also made one out of some prime alpaca I had in my stash. I really love how it turned out.
Tiny modeled it for me, but it is better for a two year old. On a two year old it slouches in the
back and in my opinion much cuter.


 
I love how the shape covers ears so well.

 
In 2014 I am planning on doing a lot more spinning.
I am making a simple bennie hat out of some handspun merino yarn I made. I Navajo plied it and I'm finding the Navajo plying a little tricky on my traditional wheel since I have to spin it to get it started, but I'm sure with some practice I'll have it all worked out. I've been doing a lot of spinning lately so I'll have lots to practice with soon.
 
 
And since so much of my time these days has been dedicated to the alpacas I thought I'd share some pictures I took of them today while I was doing chores at the farm.
 
Bo with a milk mustache.
 
 
Ono has decided it is okay if I take his picture with my cell phone. He isn't too sure
about my big camera yet. Usually he runs behind his momma.




We had to give some of the alpacas shots today. I get to hold them as my mom gives them there
meds. I always enjoy getting my hands on them. They are so incredibly soft. My mom's hand was in Mr. Bates' fleece and I had to snap a quick picture of his awesome gray fleece.  That is going to be some pretty yarn.
 
Speaking of Mr. Bates only 2-1/2 weeks until Downton Abbey!!!!


Yeah it's cold here at the Jersey Shore.

 
For reading I just finished the audiobook "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak. I really liked it.
 I hear there is going to be a movie made and I can't wait to see it.
 
I hope everyone on the Yarn Along has a wonderful Christmas! I hope Santa brings you lots of yarn I'll see you next year!
 
~Andee
 
 
Links-

4 comments:

Jessica Snell said...

You're right, that is a really clever hat pattern, with the way it covers the ears. So cool!

Debbie said...

Great hat and an awesome model!! It's suppose to be 68 on Sunday, sounds like a beach day!!

Lori ann said...

Brrr! Super darling hats, so clever that ez. We saw the book thief a few weeks ago, I wonder if it's the same?

Creative Design said...

I don't know which is cuter....the hat or the alpacas! Thanks for sharing.

Best,
sheila

http://sheilazachariae.blogspot.com/2013/12/two-missoni-inspired-chevron-blanket.html